Bromyard is a delightful Herefordshire market town situated between the
two cathedral cities of Hereford and Worcester and some 400 feet above
sea level, it enjoys a particularly attractive setting against the backdrop
of the Bromyard Downs and a changing farming landscape.
AD840, at the beginning of the reign of King Aethelwulf (who repelled
the first Danish invasion), the town was known as “Brommgeard”
which was derived from the Old English meaning; “an enclosure
where the broom grows” In the Domesday Book of 1086 it is recorded
The winding River Frome (Celtic for “brisk and fair”)
on which the town stands, served the area well for transport purposes
throughout the centuries when roads were all but unusable. The railway
came to the town in May 1877 and Bromyard’s prosperity grew
The charming High Street, leading to the Hop Market (now known as
Market Square), has many fine “Timber Framed” buildings
peculiar to this part of the country, one of particular note is Tower
Hill house where it is said, Charles 1 sheltered on the 3rd September
1644 after Cromwell’s decisive victory at Marston Moor in July
of that year.
The beautiful church of St Peter’s with its crenulated tower,
is of Norman origin but rebuilt mainly in the 14th and 15th centuries.
There is a Font and the intriguing Norman doorway has the figure of
St Peter carrying a bunch of keys.
grew prosperous on the rich harvest of Hops and Cider Apples for which
this part of the country is famed for, they are both still farmed in the
area today and you can join the ‘Hop Trail’ running along the Frome
Valley toward Ledbury.
Bromyard continues to grow with a population today of approx 4,500. The
railway has now closed through Bromyard but the town continues to
prosper supporting the surrounding rural parishes and villages, and has
become the home of some 21st century industry.
Bromyard also features a ‘Public Art Trail’ which features 3
commissioned works of art plus the Millennium Clock on the front of the
building at Flowerdew’s.